The Immigration Outreach Program (IOP)
The Onondaga County District Attorney’s Ofﬁce provides support, guidance and education to our immigrant community. In an effort to better serve this population, our Victim Assistance Program (VAP) helps victims with court accompaniment, navigation of the criminal justice system, and assistance with filing the application with the New York State Ofﬁce of Victim Services. In addition, a designated Assistant District Attorney will provide in-service presentations to community providers and review cases, as necessary. Our hope is to be more accessible to immigrant victims and ensure they receive just and fair treatment in the criminal justice system. Please refer to IOP’s brochure for additional information.
IOP CAN PROVIDE:
- Immediate support services to victims and family members of crime victims.
- Assistance in coordinating language interpreters for meetings.
- Assistance to victims in ﬁling with The NYS Ofﬁce of Victim Services for Crime Victims Compensation.
- Assistance in completing a needs assessment with appropriate advocacy, information and referrals.
- Information regarding court dates and other appointments.
- Help in initiating the return of conﬁscated property.
- Court accompaniment.
- Updates on status of cases to victims.
- Collection of information from victims for case ﬁles.
- Assistance with victim impact and parole hearing statements.
The right to be …
- Assisted by your criminal justice agencies.
- Informed about the criminal justice system.
- Provided information about available compensation for victims of crime and eligibility.
- Provided access to social service agencies that could help you.
- Free from intimidation.
- Treated fairly and with respect.